Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014

 
“For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.”
  
-T.S. Eliot
 
An almost full moon rises above the hill. 

With each new year I like to choose a word of intention to focus on.  In the past, words of intent have come easily to me.  This year's word has not revealed itself to me yet but the theme is there.  Create.  I have never really thought of myself as a creative individual.  I have no artistic skills nor can I come up with original ideas for crafts.  I can though, follow a pattern or set of instructions  with amazing accuracy.  My comprehension of construction is so much so that I often find myself picking apart items in stores with the intention of recreating them at home. 

This year, I plan to nurture that creativity.  Not only with fibers and fabrics inside, but with the garden and wild resources around me.  I envision creating a wealth of abundance around me.  Stepping back into simpler times when not everything was purchased from a shopping mall.   Homegrown vegetables from the garden, fresh eggs collected from the coop, crusty breads baked from scratch, a home apothecary built up from local herbs.  The intention is to create a sense of sustainability around me. 

Although we are still very much in the grips of winter's icy hand, I have been feverishly planning out my garden for this year.  This will be the first spring in our new house and the land around us is still very raw.  This years` focus will be on tilling the soil for the herb and vegetable gardens and constructing a large woodshed and chicken coop.   Future plans will need to be taken into consideration, of course.  Such as, building the roof of the coop so that it will support a couple of hives down the road and leaving enough land untouched so that we can fence a couple of goats when the time comes.

Its hard to envision a summer garden when snowfall blankets the home.
 
Snowy picnics taken in the backwoods.
 
A little wine to keep us warm.
 
Short dog does not make out well in the snow. 
 
A garage sale find that has been getting a fair bit of use.
 

My plans for this year are quite extensive.  For now, I have been taking the time to enjoy the winter wonderland that surrounds me.  What does your vision for the new year hold?

1 comment:

  1. Love the full moon photo! Pup is very cute, also the photo of her levitating is so fun! Well done, little Pearl.

    ReplyDelete