Monday, January 13, 2014

Daily Distractions

 
Monday mornings are always relaxed.  The office is slower, with only one doctor working the earlier shift, so I get head into work a little later in the day.   A. and I are usually up around 5:30am and while he heads off to work I meander upstairs to enjoy a latte and catch up on my blog roll.  I like having the house to myself, it gives me some quite time to catch up on my reading and housework.  Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with A. but he constantly has the gaming console or music going.   I find I need quite time, without distraction, to reflect and recharge. 

Our community is quite rural and not many services are offered to us.  We have no cellular reception.  (A little strange at first but then oddly liberating) and there isn't one company that bundles all services.  Our internet is painfully slow and cable TV is relatively expensive for even the basic package.   When we first moved into the house we had intended to hook up satellite TV.  When the provider told us they couldn't receive a clear signal we put it on the back burner and learned to live without.  Its hard to keep up on current events without the morning news, and I admit, there are some series that I do miss, but often find myself grateful for the break from daily TV.   To compensate, we set up our furniture with the heart of the home in the kitchen and dining area.  Our main floor consists of a spare bedroom and bathroom and an open concept kitchen and dining room.  The woodstove is located right in the centre of everything, making our large farm table the area to area to gather and socialize.  Still, we do have a theatre area, where I sometimes indulge in downloaded shows, but its tucked away in the loft, out of sight and out of mind. 

Today's morning will be spent without the distraction of TV or movies.  My entertainment is the view from the large picture windows facing north. The sun is starting the rise and the white snow on the hills is starting show.  Firewood needs to be gathered and soon the house will be filled with the scent of zucchini muffins baking in the oven.  Tonight's dinner will be organized and if there is time remaining I may take some time to crochet a lens cozy for my camera.  It seems that there isn't much time left in the day for distractions when everything has been finished.  The mornings are so much more productive when I take the time to focus. 

What are some ways you spend the mornings free of distraction?
Summertime in our little neighbourhood, tucked away in the middle of nowhere.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo! I have always liked to get up earlier than everyone else for a bit of quiet time. I get grumpy if I don't get it. It is a time to focus and be introspective, or set my intention for the day ahead. I love it. V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful neighborhood! I can almost breathe in all that fresh air.
    Your mom was a childhood friend of mine. I met her as a teenybopper of 12. She directed me to your lovely new blog. So, she is the culprit; you can go ahead and blame her.

    ReplyDelete