Monday, April 7, 2014

Getting Ready

The last couple of weeks have been really mild, A and I have been busy getting the yard cleaned up after the melt.  Yesterday he spent a good portion of the day in the back yard clearing brush and dropping small trees.  The yard is already looking so much more open and bright. We have outlined the area where the raised garden beds will go and cleared a spot for the chicken coop. 

Wild raspberry jam found in the back of the freezer.
 

We seem to be having a small disagreement with our neighbours as far as where the property lines are.  To us it looks as though they have excavated out our embankment and built their koi ponds a few feet into our yard but they seem to think that there is a fire lane separating the two properties.  They kindly pointed out that our wood pile is blocking the ``fire lane``.   Upon purchasing the property A and I were very thorough with the legal description, zoning laws, and any easements that could be affecting us.  There is a small fire lane on the opposite side of the street that runs down to the creek - presumably so that the firemen can pull water from the creek in case of emergency.  There is no indication of a lane on our side of the road and we have to laugh because really, where would it go, between our houses only to end at the Ranch's fencing behind us?  We are 100% sure that our neighbours are in the wrong and just looking for an excuse for their encroachment on our property line.  That being said, we were already planning on having the surveyor come out next week and he should clear things up pretty quickly.   We plan to run parallel a fence lines down  the sides of our yard and we won`t be ``donating`` a few feet of our lot to the neighbour`s property.  
Its an awkward situation and A and I are feeling rather frustrated with always butting heads with our neighbours.   Its not that we dislike either of our neighbours - both sides actually seem to be quite friendly in passing - its just that people tend to think that living rurally exempts them from rules and common courtesy.  I moved to the country to enjoy the birds and wind rustling in the trees, no so that I can listen to your country radio blaring from your patio all day, everyday.   In case you aren't aware, just because you have acreage doesn't mean you can let your highly aggressive shepherd roam at will, entering others` property and attacking my small pet while she`s tied up in my yard.  Any yes, your house may have been built 30 years before the plans for my home were even dreamt up, but that doesn't mean that you can disregard the property pin that`s RIGHT THERE, dig over your property line, pour concrete and build up masonry.  We will remove your garden decorations and we will fill over your retaining wall.  
As far as I am concerned, the fences can`t go up fast enough this spring.  I am ready for some privacy and security.   Maybe it was naïve, but when we came out here I imagined us becoming close with our country neighbours.  I had visions of us bonding over bonfires and beers and in the back yard and sharing our abundance of tomatoes and zucchinis from the garden.   It has been a rude awakening for me but since you can pick your neighbours - although I really wish you could - and since it seems neither of us will be leaving anytime soon, we are trying to be as civil as possible and make the best of it.  I will not let someone else`s bad manners and lack of common courtesy ruin my enjoyment of having a small piece of property in the country. 



In other news, I have been coming across a lot of vintage bottles and jars lately.  A and I have been poking around the bush looking for the first signs wild edibles these last couple of weeks.  It seems the frost and melt have been revealing some pretty cool relics for the taking.  I have been collecting a lot of charming retro jars and even found an old glass coke bottle that I suspect is from the 1970s. 
In strange synchronicity,  A was excavating near the river at work and came across a whole pile of antique glass 4 meters down.  The  jars and bottles appear to be from the early 1900`s, I suspect they either floated in from the river or are the remains of an old garbage site.   He collected a bunch for me know that I love vintage items and old apothecary bottles.  Some of my favorites include a cobalt blue medicine bottle, a green glass bottle, an old Perfect Seal canning jar, and various Ponds milk glass jars.  I love to imagine the turn of the century ladies who would have had these face creams sitting on their vanities.  The real gem of the haul, and the first bottle that A pulled from the ground, is an old pottery ginger beer bottle in mint condition.  The bottle is from an local brewery that was in operation from 1914 - 1916.  Apparently it is an EXTREMELY rare find and it has generated quite an interest from collectors throughout my research.  Common ginger beer bottles fetch about $80, rare ones can sell for anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to thousands of dollars.  Perhaps we will look into selling it down the road but for now we are enjoying it as a little piece of our community`s history. 

 An old Watermans ink container.  I love how most of the glassware found appears to be Canadian made.  Time were different back then.
 
 Antique Devoe watercolour paint jar - with yellow paint still inside! 
 
Ginger beer bottle.  Placed atop my cupboards for safe keeping along with my other prized possessions - Cranberry Pottery and vintage Pyrex mixing bowl sets.  




 

1 comment:

  1. I share your neighbourly feelings. Ours also encroached on our property by twenty feet, which was lawn that she had been using and maintaining. She has been such a thorn in our side; always complaining about water coming off our hill into her yard. We remmed this by putting up an ugly page wire fence, and digging a culvert to divert whatever water might happen along. This mess appears to be on her property as we are separated by a swath of forest, and we don't see it.
    I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete