Monday, May 26, 2014

Flora

It seems the last few weeks have been busy around our little country home.  With the visiting of family and an ever persistent chest cold I haven`t been feeling much like posting lately.  Below are some of the images I have collected over the past few weeks.
 
 

 
With the help of his parents, A was able to fall some of the larger trees on the property.  We opened up a nice view of the rolling hills and made space for some of the out buildings we have planned for the future.  We are still waiting to hear back about acquiring a machine to shape the property.  For now we have many 5 foot stumps littering our land.   The fallen trees were promptly stacked for firewood and the large branches made for a nice bon fire that evening.
The weather seemed to be constantly changing but we managed to take advantage of a short bit of sunshine while practicing some target shooting.  
 

 Dad's old rifle was spot on each time.
 
A's semi-automatic SKS, on the other hand, could use a little adjusting.
 


My first time sighting the extremely large Sandhill Crane.   Their unusual call has been described as prehistoric in sound.
 
Delicious Pomona liqueur that Megs and Ryan brought over from Victoria's Sea Cider house.
 
The following weekend Megan and Ryan stayed for a visit.  We managed to get out into the bush for a little target shooting and mushroom picking but mostly the poor weather kept us indoors.   We lit the woodstove and made the most of the cozy weather.  Megan commented that our home had a cabin like feeling to it. 
 
Bumble bee gather pollen from the arnica blossoms.

Cattle print?
 
This weekend I finally feels like I am turning a corner with my chest cold.  I had more energy and appetite than I have had in the past while.  A and I spent the afternoon in the garden transferring seedlings and tilling the garden bed.  We took little dog out for a hike in the hills where the first of the wildflowers are coming into show.   The area's flora is breath taking and I have instructed A to leave parts of our land raw so that I may enjoy the local flowers.   So far we have an abundance of Arnica and Paintbrush in the yard and I have even spotted a few vines of Blue Clematis I intend to transplant. 
 
 Fields of Heart Leaf Arnica.  The citrusy, minty scent of the leaves are one of my favorite things of springtime.
 
 Not sure what these guys are (perhaps coltsfoot?) but they are popping up everywhere.
 
 Indian Paintbrush.  She ranges from shades of white to fiery red and fills the fields are far as you can see.
 
 Violets - the leaves and flowers are completely edible.
 
 Chocolate lily - thought to be quite rare in places - literally covered the hillsides. 
 

 
 Fairy Slipper - A type of wild orchid.
 
Last year I was thrilled when I spotted a patch of Lady's Slipper along one of my favorite hiking trails.  The plants are considered to be quite rare and can take up to 7 years to flower.  When A spotted them on his walk he was ignorant to their delicate nature and picked me a couple of blossoms.  It was hard not to be angry but I placed them in a small vase on the windowsill where they didn't last for more than a day or two.  
When we spotted these flowers on our hike I was excited to learn of another wild orchid that grows near me.  Like the Lady's Slipper, the Fairy Slippers are considered to be rare and should not be picked. 
 
 Red and orange Paintbrush.
 
 Blue Clematis - another 'rare' wild flower that seems to grow in abundance here.

 

Balsamroot plants grow in large bunches and cover sunny hillsides.
 
 
Are the spring flowers starting to blossom in your area?


1 comment: