Monday, May 5, 2014

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is beacuse he hears a different drummer."

- Henry David Thoreau
 
 

Easter eggs dyed with natural colours.
 
The last month or so has seemed to pass at astonishing speed.   With the loss and gain of an employee at work my hours have been longer and each day seems to end with near exhaustion.  My sister and brother-in-law were supposed to make it over for Easter but unfortunately car repairs have postponed their visit.  Fortunately enough I was able to make it over to the coast for a whirlwind visit the following week.  
I made the long drive Friday after work and arrived at Megan and Ryan's late into the evening.  Saturday morning was spent thrifting the annual Dean Park estate sales, an event I have been attending for a few years now.   Although I wasn't really in the need for anything in particular, I did walk away with a few great finds.   Some of my favorites being a set of artisan pottery spice jars, an aboriginal style woven basket, copper bowls from Thailand, and a salt lamp.   In lieu of our traditional post sales pub lunch we visited the Sea Cider house as I wanted to pick up a few bottles while on the coast.   Having never been there before, we were delighted at its industrial yet comfortable environment and settled in to share an appy and a round of tasters.  
After our liquid lunch we headed back to Megan and Ryan's where mom and dad came by to celebrate my belated birthday dinner.  Mom prepared an amazing seafood casserole and Megan baked me a beautiful hummingbird fruit cake with cream cheese icing. 
I slept Saturday night at mom and dad's condo so that we could enjoy Sunday morning together before I headed back to the interior later that day.  Sunday morning was lazy and mom and I caught up over breakfast and lattes and dad showed off their newly renovated kitchen and bathroom.   We did a quick stop in at the local nursery where I picked up the makings for an air plant terrarium before mom and dad loaded my jeep up with bags of goodies and I headed back towards Swartz Bay to catch the ferry boat back to the mainland.  
Tiny air plant inside his spherical home of crystals.
 
Feather and crystal suncatcher Megan gifted to me.
 
 
This past weekend was spent resting and catching up on our errands that had been cast aside.  We are expecting A's parents for a visit later this week and then Megan and Ryan are scheduled to join us the following week.  The much neglected house was in need of a serious spring clean and homes were found for all the new goodies brought back from the coast.  Saturday morning A and I drove into town to attend the local farmers market and gather handfuls of wild asparagus.  
Mom and dad has sent me home with a countertop pasta maker that had been gifted to them from a late friend.  Although not a huge fan of traditional pastas I was eager to try my hand at making my own.  I mixed the dough up in the food processor and then after letting it rest I ran it through the pasta maker.  The recipe was surprisingly quick and easy and the resulting product was amazing.  We paired the fresh pasta with BC prawns and a our wild asparagus.  It was a rich dinner and not something that I would indulge in often but it was amazingly delicious.
 

 

 
 
 
Yesterday, my woodpecker came to me again.  I was busy rearranging the guest bedroom upstairs when I happened to look out the window at the hillside across the backyard.   There he was, at eye level, not more than 20 feet away.  I have been feeling rather secluded here in my country home and its not that I don't have opportunity to develop friendships through my amazing job where I get to meet with so many like minded people, rather, I feel like my time is so valuable to me right now that I have been extremely particular in who I want to share it with.  The woodpecker symbolizes rhythm and reminds me that is alright to have one of my own.   For now I must remember that it is ok to beat to one's own drum.  I cannot be bothered to expend my valuable energy into relationships that I don't feel I get a whole lot out of.  Honestly, it's not that I don't like you, its just that I like myself a whole lot better. 
I am a lone wolf.  
I am learning to be okay with that.
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Amazing photos of the woodpecker, Risky! I ended up hearing one in a tree when I took Bailey out yesterday morning, but I couldn't for the life of me find it! I did enjoy listening to it's tentative little drumming, though :)

    Your pasta pictures are making my stomach growl, hehe! I'm so excited to spend some time with you two. Did you drink your Sea Cider yet? We drank the Flagship, and are saving the Pamona for Sun Peaks. Perhaps we'll save the muscato I was telling you about for our visit? Maybe a bonfire?

    Your suncatcher looks so beautiful, and so does your little tilly. I'm glad you bought one - I love mine! Don't forget to give him regular baths! XO

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post with cozy, inviting and inspiring photos. Glad you tried out the pasta maker and love the new home for air plant. XO, mom.

    ReplyDelete