Monday, June 2, 2014

Shaping Our Land

Foraged wild asparagus and Bramble Berry Sea Cider.  The essence of spring.
 
Blue Skies and the neighbour's cherry blossoms.  The recent warm weather has been reaching the 30s.

When I was 12 years old we moved into a vacation style home on waterfront.   The house was small and somewhat dated but it was situated a stone's throw from the sandy beach of a semi-private bay.  The front of the house showcased many large picture windows which allowed you to take in the full southern exposure.  The yard of the house featured a small patch of grass and couple of garden beds surrounded by cascades of blackberry brambles which grew the largest, juiciest berries I've ever had the pleasure of picking. 

Large Susan Magnolia (photo credit:http://www.monbureauderp.eu/)

What really stands out in my mind about that house were the two large magnolia trees that shaded the lawn from the hot summer sun.  These amazing trees with their twisting branches and pink and white flower as big as a saucer seemed out of place for such a cool climate.  The large flower buds are first to emerge, well before the greenery and they always served to be a sure sign of spring.   Ever since living in that wonderful beach house I have been enamoured with magnolia trees and their lovely flowers.
This weekend, while picking up some seedlings and soil at the local nursery I persuaded A to let me purchase a small magnolia tree.   The tiny tree, no higher than my knee is one of the hardier varieties of the magnolias and should be able to withstand the harsh winters we receive up in the hills.  We planted my small tree to the left of the back patio where she will receive almost full sunshine.  It is said that it can take up to two years after transplanting for a magnolia to blossom.  I suppose I will have to be patient if I want to see those pink flowers again. 



My new baby.

Yesterday, while working out in the back yard, an older gentleman on a large Harley motorcycle arrived at the top of our driveway.  He introduced himself as Rick, and asked us where we would like his machine to go.  

For months now I've listened to A promise me that he had lined up a good deal to rent a small excavator for the yard.

For months I've listened to A tell me about all the plans he has for using this machine on the property once we receive it.

For months I've patiently waited for such a machine to arrive. 

Yesterday morning, over breakfast, my patience wore out and we had a large argument about whether or not such a machine would ever appear.  I kindly asked A to stop day dreaming about a machine because we would never receive one and I strongly stressed how we have wasted another summer without a vegetable garden and chickens.  

Its funny the way the universe works. 

Not more than a few hours later, without any previous indication, there was the glorious excavator, parked at the top of our driveway, ready to be put to work. 


Although rather small in size, the excavator it has already made quick work of the back corner of our property.   Tree stumps have been removed and the land levelled and graded to make room for multiple raised beds.   It amazes me how much space we have back there. 
It will be a small investment to pay for the use of the machine but overall it will significantly improve the value of our home.  

It is now I who has been busy day dreaming about plans for the machine...

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful magnolias - your tree is going to be so lovely when it matures and blooms its giant beauty!

    Glad to hear your machine arrived! Now, no more arguments! :P

    XO M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is definitely synchronicity at work in our daily lives. So funny. Better get those gardening books out and figure out what you are going to plant. There is something called "companion planting" that was big in the '70s, maybe still is. Certain plants like to be beside each other. I am talking about kitchen garden veggies. You probably have books that refer to it, but if not, Google it. I planted my first veg garden this way. Make sure to so radishes consecutively so you always have some ripening. Parsley takes forever to germinate from seed. Spinach and chard are easy to grow. Peas are great... I am envious. Oh, don't forget rutabaga and beets!

    I too adore magnolia trees. They are so lovely. Can't wait to see the first flowers!

    XOXO, V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "sow" the radishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete