Monday, June 9, 2014

Waste Not - Want Not

For anyone that knows me well, it is no surprise to learn of my love for thrifting.   It's not so much a good deal that draws me in, rather its the lure of vintage items, made with a level of quality that can't be matched to today's products.  Its also a need for giving items a second life - society has become too disposable in the way that we view things.   I don't believe that because a pair of jeans or that set of porcelain mugs no longer serves you doesn't mean that it should be bound for the landfill.   Did you know that it takes almost 11,000 litres of water to produce one pair of jeans?   11,000 litres!?  It doesn't make sense to me to needlessly pollute our planet just for the want of a new article of clothing. 
My love of vintage goes back to when I was growing up.  I remember being a young teenager, scouting the local auxiliary store looking for vintage heels and picking through retro costume jewellery.  It was a way of developing my own sense of style.  That thrill of the hunt has stuck with me and I still find myself frequenting my local thrift stores.  With the purchase of our first home last summer, A and I have become avid garage sale shoppers, constantly searching for tools, garden supplies, and pieces of furniture to fill our house with.   Some of my favourite finds include vintage books, office supplies and clothing.  I also seem to have a soft spot for good quality pottery dishware - slowly swapping out our cheap and generic tableware for unique handcrafted pieces.

Thrifted wicker tray and lilac blossoms I stole from a neighbour's abandoned summer home. 
 
I tend to live my life through the saying waste not, want not.  Frequently purging out my possessions to donate to the local second hand stores helps me know that my discarded items will get a second chance too.  This past weekend, when A and I were cleaning out some old building supplies we posted a group of used windows for free on the local classifieds.  I'd rather they go to good use than to end up at the dump.   On the receiving end, I recently acquired a large amount of kale plants that someone had posted for free on Kijiji.  She had recently thinned out her raised beds so into my garden they went.  This way of life isn't just limited to my purchases,  this past weekend I managed to gather a few handful of dandelion blossoms to make into jelly.   This otherwise 'pesky' blossom is transformed into a beautiful jelly with a mild honey like flavour.  Foraging and wildcraft is another of my favourite resourceful pastimes. 

 Dandelion flowers in my thrifted herbcraft basket.
 
Beautuful dandelion jelly.
 
Take a minute to think about some ways in which you can prevent needless waste.   

 





1 comment:

  1. Dandelion jelly! I have never heard of it, but am so intrigued. The lilacs are lovely. XO, V.

    ReplyDelete